Weak Body, Strong Spirit



Since the very first time I read the Book of Mormon–before I even made the decision to be baptized–I have made space in my heart for the words of Nephi found in 2 Nephi 4.  So, yesterday, when I was in the exam room waiting for the doctor to come in and see me, I flipped the Book of Mormon sitting on the top of the stack of magazines (how weird is that?!) open to just that book of Scripture.

I started reading Nephi's beautiful psalm to the Lord and came to this part:

And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul?
So, there I was.  Feeling so strongly and understanding more deeply than ever my body's weaknesses.  My mortality's limitations.  I felt the yielding of my body due to the flesh, but keenly understood that my spirit was still imbued with fortitude...that even though my body is weak, the choice was still mine–will always be mine–to be strong in spirit.

In all of these years of loving these words and of memorizing these words, I finally heard them.  I finally let Nephi speak to me.  "Why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh?  Yea, why should I give way to temptations?"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Lauren Kay House © 2011