Shop 'Til You Drop


It's amazing to me how fantastic shopping can make me feel.  Two weeks ago today, I was feeling pretty down in the dumps.  A mixture of overwhelm from three impending mid-terms and melancholy from being stressed over work had descended upon me.  It was seemingly unshakeable.
And, then the mail came, and I received a Target gift card in a shiny red and white envelope.  I hopped in the car and drove Ernie over to Tar-jay.  I bought some groceries, some greeting cards, a box of markers and a new journal.  When I left, I felt great.

But not just great.  I was giddy.  I was inventing songs about seasonal ice cream.  I literally skipped to my car.  

Nothing about my impending tests had changed.  I still had the same work load.  

...And yet, there I was.  Humming to myself whilst I made my peanut butter brownies and smiling as I wrote in my new journal.  I wasn't too self-aware at the time about what had happened.  It hit me a few days later, though, that shopping - acquiring new things - had made me literally skip with delight.  

Hello, my name is Lauren and I'm a consumer whore.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Lauren Kay House © 2011